Saturday, January 17, 2009

Flying Solo

Where have I been?

Things long lost forgotten...

1.) Spending the entire day with a book in my face.
I recently spent my entire Thanksgiving break reading the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. Despite what your feelings may be toward the vampire romance series, they completely caught my attention, and I was unable to put them down. That feeling of being so involved with a fictional story that you completely lose track of time is one of the most satisfying feelings I've had. Lately, it seems I've occupied my spare time with mindlessness outside of what I do for school.

2.) Driving about for good locations to snap photos.
I once had a fantasy that I could ever capture photos like those of Ansel Adams. Today, looking at my digital camera which has had dead batteries for almost half a year now, and my old hand me down Pentax (which requires actual film!) that's been tucked away in a corner of my closet...I wondered what has stopped me from doing the things that once brought me such joy? I'll post my photos later :D

3.) Cooking. I used to cook fantastic meals when I lived back home. I'm positive that any television watching I did in my last two years of high school involved the Food Network. I remember once telling my family (convinced myself) that I would go to culinary school someday and do this for real. What happened to that? Well, money, I suppose is one reason. I think I'm going to go all out on Sunday...hmm possible recipes later.

4.) Writing. Well, I suppose I've already made an effort in that area. I used to write fictional stories, though. None of which I ever got very far on. I usually start writing after reading a really inspirational new book to get my creative juices flowing again.

5.) Hiking. I think I miss this the most. I made a few small hiking trips last summer (nothing particularly amazing). I'll never forget my trip up Mt. LeConte in the Smoky Mountains. I made that trip when I was 17 with my dad. I think I have some pictures stored on the computer from the top of the mountain. I would love to do something like that for Spring Break this year. I hope my dad can manage his way up a mountain again with the deteriorating state of his knee.


This is a picture I took at the top of Mt Leconte in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee. It was about mid-March when we made this hike.

This is another photo from the Smoky Mountains. This one was taken at a gap in the trees about halfway up from Alum Cave Bluff.

No comments:

Post a Comment